Thursday, November 6, 2014

How Difficult Was It Getting Hired by MAC?

It took me 5 months to finally become a MAC makeup artist. 

My hiring process began in March 2013 and in July 2013 they were telling me when I start. I was soo excited because for as long as it took I just knew I was not going to get the job. I felt pretty confident in my interviews but when days turned to weeks and weeks turned into months and my family was asking me "whats up with MAC?" I started to get discouraged. 
So let me walk you through what I went through in pursuit of my position....


I went to the mall dressed very cute, of course I had my makeup done. I wanted them to see that I was capable of doing edgy looks so I remember having my eyes smoked out more so under my bottom lash line...Im curious of what I'd think of my makeup from then based on my current level of artistry..

I go into the store asking to speak with a hiring manager, I speak with her and give her my resume and cover letter. She gives me an application to fill out and I complete while in the mall and return it. Our interaction was no more than 3 minutes total. I felt like some sort of connection was made.  After that I called the store consistently on thursdays. After about 3 weeks I was invited into the store for an interview. There it was a group interview I had to bring a model and was supplied brushes and told to gather the products I would need in order to execute a look for a lawyer who has to go to court without using any shades of black or brown. OH YEAH they also made us all switch models, which meant whoever you've been practicing on was not going to  who you performing the look on I pulled orange and green and blended them out to create a neutral work appropriate look on my new model, instead of my mother who should have been my model.We then had to take the look from day to night, apply red lipstick and a strip of false lashes. At the end of the interview we were told that they would be contacting us in about 2 weeks. I was not contacted within that point.

Im contacted by a MAC recruiter about a month later, the interview is conducted at the regional headquarters this time. This was simply a verbal interview with the head regional recruiter. I was interviewed alongside another girl. We were asked the usual customer service questions as well as what our favorite makeup trends were and our favorite products. I was contacted shortly after this interview for another makeup interview.


I arrived yet again with my mother as my model and in a room full of about 6 other artists, the trainers for this area and other employees. Each artist was assigned a trainer and they observed, listened and offered advice throughout the daytime makeup look. I was most nervous for this interview. After completing the look and receiving much needed constructive criticism and tips I spoke with one of the top rank MAC employees in our region. I felt very comfortable in this portion of the interview...... At this time I heard really nothing more from the company until about 3 months later...

Then one day I receive a call from the regional recruiter saying that they have found a position for me. I was finally a MAC makeup artist. I definitely wanted to be placed in a store and is something I am working on now but in the time being I am at the MAC Counter.



No comments:

Post a Comment