Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Faux Locs





I've had the Faux Locs twice now and I must say I love them for being an incredibly versatile protective style. They allow you to experience what its like to have dreads without the commitment and having had to devote years to growing your hair. The first time I wore the faux locs I kept them in for exactly a month. I went to Miami then the Bahamas and I managed to get sand in my roots :) Take me back!! From what I've heard Marley hair doesn't hold up too well against shampooing, so at exactly 30 days I took out my locs.

Let me knock out some of the FAQs I get in regards to my faux locs..............

Q: How long did it take to install?

A: The first time it took me 12 hours to install my loc extensions. I stretched it out over the course of two days. I wasn't pressed for time so I took my time to ensure my first time loc experience was a good one. The second time I took 9 hours I got off of work at 10pm, worked all through the night and had to be up by 8

Q: What kind of hair do I use? 

A: Batik Reggae Braid in the color 1B. For the length that I have I used 8 packs of hair. Each loc uses approximately two pieces hair especially if you are looking to achieve locs beyond bra strap length.

Q: Are they heavy?

A: No they really aren't. I was surprised at how light they were due to my desire not to put any stress and tension on my front hairline. They can be heavy when I place them on the top of my head but that's about it.

Q: How do you sleep with them?

A: If I don't braid them for a wavy effect then I will simply pull them back and tie a silk scarf around my head. When I shower I tuck them into a shower cap that sits halfway off of my head:) 

Q:Any criticisms of the faux locs?

A: Because you burn the ends of the hair in order to secure the loc, if you overdo it the ends may snag your clothing. Also, with the burning of the locs it causes them to stick together which can be mildly annoying.

Q: Are you able to moisturize your hair while in the faux locs?

A: Honestly, Im not and that does sort of bother me because I feel great that Im in this protective style and Im not manipulating my hair but knowing Im not moisturizing for a month at a time is scary. What I do however to offer me peace of mind is slather Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my hair as I am installing my faux locs. When I  removed my previous faux locs my hair did not feel dry. I could still feel the softness of the castor oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment